Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The End?

One of my cooks asked me today if I thought the world was going to end in 2012.
Apparently there was a show on the Discovery channel about it and these different religious groups believe that the end is near.
Like in 3 years.
Has anyone else heard this?
I was always told (and I told him the same) that we don't know when it will end, it will be God's will and decision and we need to make peace with our beliefs and lives and when it happens, it happens.
Now they are saying these things, that we are doomed in 3 years, on tv?
I can imagine how this will freak people out.

We watched "Knowing" Saturday night and I will not be watching any more of that scary crap; I had bad dreams all night.

Should I be wasting the last couple of years of my existence toiling away at work without ever going to Hawaii?
Shouldn't I be drinking regular Coke and eating as much chocolate as possible?
Do I want to die with my baseboards still unpainted?

What I am trying to say is that if we are to believe this is true, why would people send their kids to college instead of taking a family trip all over the world?
Why would people want to buy a new house and start fixing it up?
Why would anyone keep planning for the future if there isn't one?
Pretty scary.
It is dangerous and irresponsible to air that stuff unless they have actual evidence supporting it.
Not just the beliefs and words of some people.
Like an asteroid is going to hit us and there is no way it will stop.
I don't know but I am just going to keep on trucking and see what happens.

What do you think?

7 comments:

  1. I wish I could find the cartoon strip I saw once with a man holding a sandwich board marching down a street. The sign says "The End of the World is Coming!" A little boy is looking up at his father with a questioning look and the dad says, "Don't count on it."

    ReplyDelete
  2. People are sooo funny... Yes - the Bible even says the angels dont even KNOW!!!! So how would anyone else here on earth know!

    I can remember in 2000 at midnight, wasnt the world going to end then?

    I wish I knew - i'd eat like a HOG a few hours before... free calories! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My 11 year old told me about this. I also told him that no man knows except for god! Your right, it is irresponsible to put this stuff on tv!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can remember a book in the 80's - I think it was titled "88 reasons the world ends in '88" and the crap that happened because of it. I was all of 11 years old, but I can remember grown ups talking about people going out and racking up HUGE debts thinking they were going to never have to pay them back. I'm thinking 20 years later, those people are probably still regretting their decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Mayan calendar only goes to 12/21/2012 so people think that is when the end will come. There is even a movie coming out later this year about it. Sad thing is 12/21 is my birthday. I don't want the world ending on my birthday, LOL. I firmly believe that NO ONE but God knows when the end is coming; I believe the Bible and that's what it says in the Bible. So I don't worry about it when people say its going to happen this day or that day. But.....if I knew for sure it would happen a certain day, you bet you I would be eating chocolate like there was no tomorrow.......

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. It kind of brings to mind Chicken Little - The Sky is Falling!

    There has always been failed doomsay prophets and always will be. I believe I'll continue living my life as if there will be a tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete
  7. my partner watches all those doomsday programs on History and whatever other channel is broadcasting them. I always leave the room because it puts me in such a funk that I don't recover for days...I'm not a pessimistic person, I can't stand thinking that there's a sledgehammer waiting to pound down on us at any given minute. I'd rather live with hope and light, not fear and dark...call me crazy.

    ReplyDelete

Show some love♥ leave a comment

Awards I Have Received:

Awards I Have Received:
Thanks Janet!

Thank You Stacey!

Premios Dardo (Top Dart)

Premios Dardo (Top Dart)
Thank You Angela!

Thanks Deanna!

Splash Award

Splash Award
Thanks Stacey!

Meme Award

Meme Award
Thank You Stacey

Thank You Wife O Riley!

Thank You Cindi!

Thank you Stacey!

Thanks Stacey!

Thanks Katie!