Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Bad Days, Better Books and Fowl Finneus

If you are here to see a wonderful photo of Nick's first day of high school, you will be sadly disappointed.
My camera battery is dead, I lost the charger, I was tired, he was crabby, I forgot.
Ok?
He was in a bad mood because he "did not want to go back to school" (which is what he hollered at me at 6:43 am when I said to "get in the damn car or you will be late", and he had early marching band at 7am.
And he hates his advisory class (like study hall) because it is full of, and I quote, "druggies and bad behavior jerks" which he discovered at the all day orientation/day of torture last week that I forced him to go to and he has been reminding me ever since how he can never get those wasted hours back.
So we did what any parents would do.
We called the principal.
Because it would be ridiculous to call the counselor first.
Anyway, Mr. Funny prefers to start at the top (in more ways than one- but I digress) so after he called, I waited a few hours and then I called the counselor who asked if she could talk to Nick and he said NO.
So I had to tell her he wasn't comfortable asking for special favors and that he is a serious studier so he needs a class where there is more structure and BAM! It was done.
I am sure there is a note in his file about pushy parents but whatever.
I tried to tell him yesterday, the story about The Breakfast Club and how even though they were misfits, it ended up being an epic day full of learning and acceptance and even true love but he wasn't listening which was made clear by the fact that his fingers were in his ears, I kid you not!
Now we are going to have to watch the movie.

Anyway, I will do my best to get a photo with the $10,000 camera (Mr. Funny's fancy one that my sister has dubbed the ten thousand dollar camera)
I assure you it wasn't that much. I hope.
Anyway, I will give it a whirl.
No promises.

Finn. Stinks.
I cannot figure out if he is rotting on the inside or what but it is not anal glands and he did not get into something nasty.
He just stinks. Like feet and rotting fruit and dirty body.
I don't get it, he didn't used to.
The others don't. (unless they are wet, in which case they are awful!)

Nick was sound asleep and the weather radio in our room went off (it is programmed to only go off in event of a tornado watch or warning) and his door flew open and he looked like a wild beast.
"just a watch, I am listening to the news" I told him and hopefully he is back to sleep.

I just used my Borders gift card that I got last year to get some books and this is what I got:

The Weight of Silence by Heather Gudenkauf


Annie Freeman's Fabulous Traveling Funeral by Kris Radish


90 Minutes in Heaven by Don Piper

Change Your Brain, Change Your Life:
The Breakthrough Program for Conquering Anxiety, Depression, Obsessiveness, Anger and Impulsiveness. (this one I couldn't pass up)

I considered this one, maybe next time.
Maybe I should read Eat, Pray Love first.
Is this the sequel? ha ha
They were buy one get one half off (certain titles) through today.

I am still battling the dark days that are seeping over me so bear with me as I am drug free and hoping to do this on my own.
I'm not sure Mr. Funny agrees with this tough love approach but someone ends up dead in a ditch, and that someone is me, I more than likely deserved it.
It has been fall weather lately which is when the dark takes over and don't get me started on winter and the dark and cold and doom.
I have a lot of projects to keep me busy and I have some new recipes to try and some good books to read plus my kids, dogs, husband and blog to keep me sane.



9 comments:

  1. I am already having to drag my son out of bed for school. I knew him jumping out of bed when the alarm went off the first couple days wouldn't last!
    He definitely needs to see The Breakfast Club!
    You can always get Finn some doggy perfume. I had to get some for Scarlett.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks like you got some interesting books to read over the next few weeks. let me know what you think about the one "90 minutes in heaven". hoping Nick gets back into the "groove" of school

    hang in there; these days soon will pass....its hard when the young ones grow up!!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a day you had! I am so going to need a review of that that "sequel" to Eat Pray Love! Each day will get easier!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh boy, I am dreading waking my boys up the first day! I don't think they are ready to go back yet. Summer just flew right by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Breakfast Club introduction for Nick. He would love it if only he'd give it a try.

    By the by, you also have sisters who love the hell out of you. I'm just saying. We could get a nod here and there.

    I got back on my med randomly the other day because my dark days were running into each other with no end in sight. Good for you for sticking with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw "Fowl Finneus" and thought, omg, the dog grew wings!! lmao--ahem, probably not another problem you need with an already stinky dog. Is it because he's becoming sexually mature and he's giving off an odor? that's just weird, what does your vet say?

    that's really great that they stuck Nick in a class where he won't be distracted by slackers all day, I think it's incredible and commendable that he really cares about his education--school in today's times has to be scarier and more intimidating than ever, we had it rough, but omg...you couldn't pay me to walk thru those doors again today.

    I got the Eat, Pray, Love book at Goodwill and haven't started it yet..I like your title better, can I borrow it when you're finished? lol jk

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey there! I hope the days are getting easier for Nick but something tells me that's not the case. Usually kids tend to hate school more the further into the year that they get. But hopefully it will be better for him.

    You know that I can totally relate to the dark days. I've been having a time of it myself. Unlike you, I withdraw from everything ... even the really therapeutic stuff like blogging. I don't know why I do that. Writing is a release for me, and you'd think that in the worst of times I'd be writing the most. I just don't know. This "life" thing is tough sometimes, but it's comforting to know that there are others out there feeling the same (not that I would wish the down-in-the-dumps feelings on anyone ... just feel better knowing I'm not the only one). It seems to hit us womenfolk so much harder than the big, tough men. All of us chicks need to stick together and muddle through!

    I hope your week is going well. I'm ready for the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i read the 90 minutes book .... all of them look interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok I was laughing once again UNTIL you brought up anal glands THEN I GAGGED!! That is so disgusting. Expressing anal glands or even the mere thought can make me puke. Thank you for that! Remember in a PUBLIC library....picture this.....me laughing, typing, laughing, typing, laughing, gagging.....get the point ~ I'll be kicked out soon!

    ReplyDelete

Show some love♥ leave a comment

Awards I Have Received:

Awards I Have Received:
Thanks Janet!

Thank You Stacey!

Premios Dardo (Top Dart)

Premios Dardo (Top Dart)
Thank You Angela!

Thanks Deanna!

Splash Award

Splash Award
Thanks Stacey!

Meme Award

Meme Award
Thank You Stacey

Thank You Wife O Riley!

Thank You Cindi!

Thank you Stacey!

Thanks Stacey!

Thanks Katie!