Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Growing Pains

My youngest son has a few quirky ailments like very dry eyes (he won't use the Restasis or the moisture drops,  or heat compresses like the opthamologist suggested) and he tends to black out and sometimes even pass out if he stands up too fast or first thing in the morning (his doctor says it is dehydration and he keeps Gatorade and water by his bed to sip before getting up-it seems to work)(he gets this from me, I am a fainter) and he has been having "growing pains" in his hips, legs and shoulders for about a  year so when he complained of some chest pain after school yesterday, I was sympathetic but I explained that it is probably his upper body growing now that his legs cannot possibly get any longer.
After his evening concert, he mentioned the pain again and said it was sharp and in his chest and upper to middle back made worse by bending, twisting his torso and lying down. His lungs seemed fine so he snuggled with me for awhile in my room until I fell asleep. This morning he felt the same and hadn't slept much so I made him an appt. with his pediatrician.
My husband took him and right before lunch time, he called me at work to tell me they were sending the little one for a cardiac test and I should meet him over at the hospital.
When I got there my husband said the doctor wanted to run a test to rule out Marfan syndrome which is a hereditary disease of the connective tissue of the body that can cause the heart to enlarge and the aorta to tear and can be very dangerous, even fatal. Some of the features include a tall and thin build, very long legs, arms and fingers, and problems with sight.
The echocardiogram was given by the same guy who checked out my husbands heart when he was in the hospital months ago and he was amazing. He said that although he is not a cardiologist, he could see that my son's heart looked good and even gave us a tour of it, naming all the chambers and valves. The test had to be sent away and we won't get the results for a few days but I am pretty confident that his heart is just fine.
I am going to keep my eye on him closely for the next few days and take him back next week to rule out any other scary diseases.


In other news, my car went to the doctor today today. My check engine (looks like a helicopter) light came on and my remote start stopped working.
My vent solenoid was bad. No idea what it does and I am not going to look it up.


I didn't celebrate Mardi Gras and I don't give up anything for Lent.

8 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear the echo test turned out "okay" for Little One; I know you are awaiting the official reading, but it is good that the technician gave you the "tour" as he did the test; I'm sure if he suspected anything was wrong, he wouldn't have done what he did


    wonder if his passing out is low blood sugar? which would make sense if the sip of Gatorade helps.

    hope your car gets out of the shop soon.

    I wondered this year if those that celebrate Madri Gras even know why Lent happens? I'm with you; I don't give up anything for Lent and I can never imagine myself making it to New Orleans.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scary about your son. How's his blood pressure? Mine is always really low in the morning. Sending up prayers that it turns out to be just growing pains.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's scary! I'm sure everything will be ok.
    I'm not Catholic, so I don't give up anything either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is scary for little one. I hope it is just what you say it is - more growing pains. It's better safe than sorry - glad you are getting things checked out.

    No Lenten resolutions here either. I always end up breaking them, just like New years resolutions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sorry about the lil one, prayers coming your way. please keep us posted. love the new look to your blog too. have a great rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your poor baby! That can be scarey not knowing what's going on. Glad the test looks ok.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lordy, that's scary!

    Typical man/boy though to not do the eye stuff. Ha. He'll learn sooner or later.

    I've heard growing pains can really hurt. Poor kid.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Show some love♥ leave a comment

Awards I Have Received:

Awards I Have Received:
Thanks Janet!

Thank You Stacey!

Premios Dardo (Top Dart)

Premios Dardo (Top Dart)
Thank You Angela!

Thanks Deanna!

Splash Award

Splash Award
Thanks Stacey!

Meme Award

Meme Award
Thank You Stacey

Thank You Wife O Riley!

Thank You Cindi!

Thank you Stacey!

Thanks Stacey!

Thanks Katie!