Friday, March 18, 2011

Pearl Harbor

Beautiful

Dorks

USS Missouri  battleship



Big guns






The names of the dead and missing

Part of the top of the sunken ship (you can still see the oil bubbling to the surface some 70 years later)
USS Arizona memorial




USS Bowfin submarine



Pearl Harbor survivors signing autographs





Punchbowl Cemetery

Interior of USS Missouri battleship


Sleeping quarters on ship
USS Arizona
Exploring the deck of the battleship

Me with the anchor of the USS Arizona
Tower at Pearl Harbor that was actually used in the movie Pearl Harbor



Bullets used on the battleship




Our trip to Pearl Harbor started very early in the morning.
I am really happy that we had the chance to see it but I would suggest renting a car and going without the stupid tour company because we spent way too much time sitting on the bus or standing around waiting for people to tell us where to go or what to do because we needed to be guided.
When we were on the deck of the USS Missouri, my husband got so disgusted with standing there in the hot sun while the guide told the same stories over and over until we had 10 minutes left so he broke away and went to the lower part of the boat. I went with him. The rest of the tour didn't get to see it at all and we were the last people on the bus (while we got some dirty looks, totally worth it.)
My husband was in the Navy so the ships just fascinated him to no end. I did manage to find a small broken off piece of the wooden deck and brought it home for my son.
We bought lots of pictures and cards and shirts and books there which was the reason we needed to get another bag before we flew out.

I did notice something odd. The people on our bus, and there were a lot of them, did not interact with each other at all. Even while we were walking around, only one person struck up a conversation and he was an ex military guy like my husband. I asked a newlywed couple where they were from and he said "Australia" and looked away, pained that he had to speak. Weird.
I guess it is my Midwestern upbringing but we are a friendly lot of people and will talk to anyone so it just blew me away how quiet the bus was and quieter the tour was.


When I look at these photos, I remember how much fun we were having at the time. I don't ever really think I am having fun until I get home and relive the trip with my husband and family and friends and then I think, oh my goodness, that was some good fun!!
I also really regret that we didn't relax more. I wanted to spend the entire trip laying on the beach but there were so many things to see and do (and eat) and I felt like we were wasting precious time every minute that we were on the beach.
Now I wish we had done less.

When I was in Tulsa, my sister's friend's mother was in Oahu, Hawaii and she had just called to say that she had been evacuated to the higher floors of her hotel because of the tsunami. They were worried that the beaches would be too dangerous so everyone had to stay off of them. I am so thankful for that trip and for being able to see such amazing things. Some of my employees have never been out of our state so they were thrilled to hear about it.













4 comments:

  1. Great pictures. I guess you will just have to go again so you can lay on the beach more. I have never been but would love to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi i have been reading your blog for awhile and loved the photos of Pearl Harbour glad you had a good trip I am an Aussie and I would have talked to you!!! But you get that anywhere even here on tours!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. before I forget, I like your new blog look.

    looked like a great place to visit. I am not sure why I thought it was odd to have the survivors from Pearl Harbor signing autographs...... but you got to thank them for their service and wow the memories they must have!!

    I didn't know your hubby was in the Navy. Thank him for his service.

    I'm always striking up a conversation with strangers, I would have done the same if you were on my tour!

    my son used to say when we would go on vacation "we are on vacation, why can't we sleep in one day, why do we have to go, go, go" We need to take that advice and spend it at the beach relaxing instead of going, going, going; remember that for your next trip there :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures! Loved hearing about your trip to Hawaii. When you were at Pearl Harbor did you think "I'm actually at Pearl Harbor in Hawaii"? Its an amazing place. I also felt that when we went to Hawaii we were constantly on the go because there's so much to see and do. In July, my new fiancee :-) and I are going to Lahaina, Maui for our honeymoon, we're staying at the Westin Kaanapali Resort and we're going to take it easy! Also, loved your outfits! Take care!

    ReplyDelete

Show some love♥ leave a comment

Awards I Have Received:

Awards I Have Received:
Thanks Janet!

Thank You Stacey!

Premios Dardo (Top Dart)

Premios Dardo (Top Dart)
Thank You Angela!

Thanks Deanna!

Splash Award

Splash Award
Thanks Stacey!

Meme Award

Meme Award
Thank You Stacey

Thank You Wife O Riley!

Thank You Cindi!

Thank you Stacey!

Thanks Stacey!

Thanks Katie!