Sunday, September 11, 2011

10 Years




Pentagon












On Sept. 11, 2001, I was driving the boys to school when a radio announcer on a morning show I listen to said "someone just ran his plane into the World Trade Center"
I looked at the sky at that minute and it was the bluest sky, the whitest clouds.
Everyone thought it was a small plane, they discussed different options- was he drunk, blinded by the sun? 

I dropped the kids off and when I got home and told my husband, he immediately said it was a terrorist attack.
That idea sounded insane to me. Why? 
We turned on the tv and watched the buildings burn. When they fell, it was like being in a bad dream where you cannot wake up.


We watched tv for next 2 days, barely leaving the house.

I have been to NYC a few times. When we took the boys in 1999, we talked about taking them up in the buildings, the towers. Instead, they chose the Empire State Building. I also have photos of us on the ferry on our way to the Statue. The towers are in the background. I have photos of the boys standing downtown with the towers looming behind them.

We went back in November 2001. Everything was different. You could not go to the top of the Statue of Liberty, or the Empire State Building. 
We could not get close to Ground Zero but we had lunch at a pizza place in the Wall Street area and there were workers coming in that were completely covered, head to toe, with white dust. They looked shell-shocked. The things they must be seeing, 2 months later. In the rubble. People applauded them, stood up and clapped any time a worker came in. 
I cried in the corner while I tried to read a magazine. The boys were out trying to get a closer look at where the building stood. We have pictures. Lots. All of my photos are in albums so we will not forget.
I had only been to NYC a couple of times and I was devastated by our loss, imagine how it felt when that was YOUR city. Well it was our city, I guess. It is our city. It is our country.


The last time I went, it was with my 3 sisters in December of 2009. We stayed at a hotel that overlooked Ground Zero. There were huge gaping holes in the earth. It seemed so empty. We spent a lot of time on the other side of the city and never made it to the site, the Statue or the Empire State Building.

Things have changed in 2 years. We plan to go back and see the memorials.
We saw before and during, now to the after.

3 comments:

  1. I have not been able to watch any of the programs this week because I know it will make me bawl!As I was getting dressed this morning, I could hear them reading the names of the people that died,and I teared up just listening to that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister lives in the DC area; her two daughters were 8/10 when this happened 10 years ago; they were absolutely terrified for the first few weeks/months afterwards. Like you, I can't imagine it happening in my city, yet it did in New York City, Washington DC and a field in Pennsylvania. It will always live in our memories and hearts; I can imagine for those that actually were there and lost loved ones, it is forever tattooed on their minds and hearts.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is wonderful you blinked The Towers into permanence on your camera before the tragedy. And that you have happy memories associated with the area. Let's hope and pray something like 9/11NEVER happens again. We will never forget.

    ReplyDelete

Show some love♥ leave a comment

Awards I Have Received:

Awards I Have Received:
Thanks Janet!

Thank You Stacey!

Premios Dardo (Top Dart)

Premios Dardo (Top Dart)
Thank You Angela!

Thanks Deanna!

Splash Award

Splash Award
Thanks Stacey!

Meme Award

Meme Award
Thank You Stacey

Thank You Wife O Riley!

Thank You Cindi!

Thank you Stacey!

Thanks Stacey!

Thanks Katie!