Wednesday, October 12, 2011

I had intended to post this weekend but I was unable to form a complete thought and my head was fuzzy.
This week is going to kick my ass.
My sister-in-law flew in today.
We spent the evening going through pictures for the visitation and met with a close family friend who is also a minister and who will be helping to give the eulogy.

Tomorrow will be meetings with the funeral home, with her own minister, arranging photos and planning both the visitation Thursday and the funeral Friday (she was cremated)
Family will start arriving tomorrow from out of state (I think there will be close to 30) and we need to figure out meals, sleeping arrangements, and for some of us, how much booze to buy.
I haven't had time to let this all sink in. As I told them today, we have plenty of time for crying later.
I spent yesterday trying to find clothes for both days. I lucked out and found a black skirt and jacket with a nice colorful tank for the funeral and a black ruffled tank and leopard blazer for visitation. It took 2 hours. My husband needed slacks, shoes and a dress shirt which took him 18 seconds to try on and purchase. I didn't dare push him to wear a tie. He does not dress up (polo shirts for work do not count)so he labeled these clothes his funeral clothes and probably will not wear them again.
The boys both have suits and lots of dress shirts so that part was easy.

Saturday is the last marching competition of the year and since we missed the others, we will be gone all day to this one. Not sure if the extended family will be staying the entire weekend but hopefully, they won't linger.
It occurred to us tonight that we have a 4 bedroom home jam packed with years of stuff to go through. The basement is its own nightmare.
I am way too tired to imagine it right now plus my neck is out of sorts so there's that.

We did have a small get together for dinner Saturday night with some new (to me) friends. My husband is buddies with a deputy Sheriff and his wife was my MIL's favorite nurse o we took them to our favorite Italian place.

We are a pretty tight crew so we should be able to pull all of this off without a hitch.
The rest of the story comes later.

7 comments:

  1. Things go by in slow motion after the death of a loved one. Like you're in a daze. It is hard to put together a plan for a funeral when you're grieving. Somehow we all manage to do it. It sounds like the tough decisions are made and that you've got a handle on the others. I'm sure it will be a beautiful service and lasting tribute to your MIL. My prayers are with you during this difficult time. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you and your family and keeping you all in my prayers.

    Love,
    LuLu~*xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. thinking of you and praying for you!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. hugs to all; I have never had to plan what you have had to plsn, the logistics, etc, plus trying to deal with the grief, which I know, as you do, is just in the beginning stages. You all will be in my prayers this week as you say goodbye to a wonderful, kind, loving lady.

    take care of yourself too!!!!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. You hang in there, Mrs. Funny. You've demonstrated your strength many times so you know you can get through this and help your hubby and boys with their loss.

    But don't forget an important part of grieving is also letting others do for you. So tell someone "yes" when they ask if they can help. Whether it is setting the table, making a reservation, or taking out the trash. They are little actions, but they will help both you and the person wanting to help but needing a little direction.

    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Big hugs to you during this really hard week you're living right now AND especially for the let down the week after. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Huggsss hun. You are strong. Plus you have a new angel guiding you every step of the way.

    The house... don't even think about that until you have time to regroup. That will be a whole nother chapter.

    ReplyDelete

Show some love♥ leave a comment

Awards I Have Received:

Awards I Have Received:
Thanks Janet!

Thank You Stacey!

Premios Dardo (Top Dart)

Premios Dardo (Top Dart)
Thank You Angela!

Thanks Deanna!

Splash Award

Splash Award
Thanks Stacey!

Meme Award

Meme Award
Thank You Stacey

Thank You Wife O Riley!

Thank You Cindi!

Thank you Stacey!

Thanks Stacey!

Thanks Katie!