Friday, July 6, 2012

Here are some of my latest purchases that I am loving.


I am always looking for fun eyeshadows. I am almost ashamed at how many I actually have but I do use them all.
I was also looking for a different mascara. I really like the Clinique High Impact and have used it for years but it seems to dry out somewhat quickly.
I wore the Benefit on my right eye and the tarte on my left yesterday.









tarte Lights, Camera, Action mascara

I liked the wand on the tarte better but the Benefit made my lashes seem longer. I bought the Benefit in a small size to try it.
Benefit mini mascara in They're Real!
Stila eye trio in Cape Town

Stila shadow in Kitten


Urban Decay eyeshadow primer
I really like the eyeshadow primer. I usually buy shadows that have decent staying power because i apply my makeup once and expect it to stay put. I may or may not repurchase it but a little goes a long way.
I have been hearing good things about face primers too. I have not used any yet because by the time I use eye de-puffer, moisturizer, foundation or tinted moisturizer, concealer and loose powder, I just don't want to add one more thing to my face. There are also some makeup setting sprays out there that interest me.


The Suave deodorant was voted #1 in one of my magazines. I had used Secret Clinical and Dove Clinical and wasn't impressed.
This one wins! The smell is soft and summery and in this heat (did you know it is hot here? yeah, I will shut up) I sweat even more than usual. Duh. This one works for me.




My sister in law and her 3 kiddos made it here this evening. I went over to sit by the pool with her and chat for a bit while my brother in law went to pick up his kids from satan's his ex-wife's house.
She hasn't been here since their mom died and it was really hard walking in to her mom's, now her brother's, house.
I have only been over there a few times since she has been gone (she died in October) and he really isn't the best housekeeper. My MIL kept a spotless house and the newish carpet was shampooed monthly. In addition to the messiness, all of my BIL's things are there as well as my MIL's things. We didn't have time after the funeral to go through the house and organize, that is what this visit is partly for.
I noticed the bathroom still has her glass shelf with her perfumes and lotions and the basket on the counter still has her brush, hairspray and tweezers. 
He didn't feel right throwing stuff away so he just lives around everything.
All of her knick knacks (angels, Precious Moments, tea pots) are still in the glass cabinets (covered in dust) and the rooms that the kids sleep in are a horrible mess including soda stains on the carpet (he is the only one who lets his kids eat and drink in their rooms) and Legos and video games everywhere.
There are 4 bedrooms and an entire cram packed basement that we need to go through.
Add this to all of the things I still need to do at my house and I feel like going insane.
I think between the 4 of us, we can get a lot done in the 3 weeks she is here but we also want to have some time to relax.


I am hosting dinner at my house Sunday. White chicken enchiladas, pico, guacamole, Mexican rice and this lemon layer dessert I found on a blog.

Lemon Layer Delight!

Crust (bottom layer)

1 cup flour
1 stick melted butter
1 cup finely chopped pecans
Directions: Mix well and spread in a 9 1/2 x 13 baking dish and bake at 350 degree for 30 minutes or until slightly browned. Let the crust set out and cool completely.

Layer #1

1 cup Cool Whip
1 8 oz package of cream cheese
1 cup powdered sugar
Directions: Mix well and spread over the cooled crust.

Layer #2

2 egg yolks
Juice of 2 lemons
1 can of sweetened condensed milk
Directions: Stir together and pour over the first layer.

Layer #3

Top with a container of Cool Whip (or real whipped cream, as we prefer!) and garnish if you like. Refrigerate until you’re ready to eat!
Note: There are raw egg yolks in this recipe. I Googled some options for a substitute and didn’t really see anything that would work other than heavy cream. But unless you or a guest has a raw egg allergy it is fine. Just make sure you buy pasteurized eggs for this recipe.





I need to spend my Sunday morning cleaning and the afternoon cooking.


Tomorrow after work, I am taking K out for her birthday dinner at Zio's so we can guzzle sip peach sangria and snarf nibble bruschetta. Mr. Funny is going to be our driver. We also need to hit up Sam's and Barnes and Noble.


The little one's flying lesson was cancelled today due to turbulence. He was a little bummed but met a good friend for lunch and is having lots of cousin time now.


I had warned them about the heat and drought but they were still shocked at how burned up everything was. We really need a good 2 day rain storm.


I may not be on here much for a while, lots to do!!


Have a great weekend and pray for rain!













9 comments:

  1. those enchiladas look interesting; they may have to go on my menu planning soon. I feel for you all in going through the things at your MIL's house. I "swear" if I live to be 80, I'm disposing of everything I own then and not putting son through the grief I've had this past 18 months.....enough said about that.

    It is hard to be surrounded by that which others liked or did or collected after they pass. I think the more one has, the hardest it is too.

    Enjoy your time with your family!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Housekeeping is not my forte since I have trouble getting around. But I know what kind of work it entails and I do not envy you. You already have so much on your plate. Praying for rain too. It was 103 here today. The high temps played havoc with my hubby's COPD and the meds I take, so we gave up on making any day trips until things cool off. take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Funny, I'm so sorry about the condition of your MIL's house. The next few weeks are going to be tough. I'll be praying for you all to find the strength to get through it, especially without killing your BIL!

    Have a great Girls' Night Out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those enchiladas sound awesome! Yummeh!

    Praying for sanity, rain and rest in between it all for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I make a lemon dessert just like that but it has lemon jello pudding in it instead of the condensed milk/egg layer. It's really good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have so much to catch up on! I will be sitting here for a bit reading your Blog first.

    Fab recipes. I am going to get the Commander to try them (you know I don't go anywhere near the kitchen but I LOVE cooking shows) Try figuring that one out.

    As always, LOVE the tips on the girlie stuff. I have to make a run soon so I will give these new things a whirl.

    96 year old FIL still here visiting. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeek! He's giving me a run for my money. The man is STILL driving and can run circles around me.

    Off to read more....

    Love,
    LuLu~*xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. Your MIL's house, it might be emotional to clear all that out. I agree w/ Corgi, I'd like to minimize my possessions, to my kids don't have to make decisions about what to do with things. We all collect too much stuff over a lifetime. That lemon dessert looks delish. Have a great time w/ your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am totally being a SWF to you lately...loving all your favorite things. I bought the Dove shampoo/conditioner the other day... LOVE IT. And I bought the lip balm today. Can't wait to try it. I ALSO made the chicken enchiladas - holy crap those are good!!!! I cut a few corners - I just shredded a rotisserie chicken for it. Anyways, I am totally your stalker. Just wanted you to know. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey there! You got some great products!! I love the Benefit They're Real and just got that same Tarte mascara to try out. And Kitten...I mean I just can't say enough. I just got a full size and I love it! The other palette you got is so pretty...not I might *need* that one! I do love the UD eye primer too!
    And now that you have shown that lemon dessert I know want something sweet. It's all your fault! :-)

    Jayme @ Her Late Night Cravings

    ReplyDelete

Show some love♥ leave a comment

Awards I Have Received:

Awards I Have Received:
Thanks Janet!

Thank You Stacey!

Premios Dardo (Top Dart)

Premios Dardo (Top Dart)
Thank You Angela!

Thanks Deanna!

Splash Award

Splash Award
Thanks Stacey!

Meme Award

Meme Award
Thank You Stacey

Thank You Wife O Riley!

Thank You Cindi!

Thank you Stacey!

Thanks Stacey!

Thanks Katie!