Saturday, June 15, 2013

College

Yesterday was PRO (Preview-Registration-Orientation) day at the little one's new college.
My husband went up with him first thing and I got there at 10:30.

A few observations:
* These kids are smart. Like Sheldon Cooper smart. I am not that smart. I spent a lot of time feeling really dumb.



* I was super excited with the campus and the professors that we spoke too. Most, if not all, have their PhD. And they all seemed to love their jobs!
* The campus was immaculate and green and gorgeous and the architecture was amazing. 
* It was sunny with 80 degree temps and blue skies so the walk to lunch was gorgeous.


*We spent a lot of time walking. People with bad knees in flat sandals need not apply.
 

*I didn't get any pictures of us all together. My husband had to leave to go to work shortly after I got there.
I did take these while I was waiting for him to finalize his schedule (and talk about quantum physics and the different types of engineering with the advisors- he has never been happier than when he was surrounded by his type of people.

Yes I soaked up the sun. And I am loving my neon orange Tarjay sandals.


Here is a better shot. The best part is I got them on clearance at our Target.

* He wants a private room. He remembers the issues we had with his older brother getting his things taken (among other bad things) and doesn't want his stuff taken or messed with. A private room is not cheap. We haven't made a final decision yet.
* The college is 80% male. I guess girls are less interested in a science and technology school. 
* The kids that were helping with PRO day were seniors and they really seemed to be having fun. This is important!
* The thing they stressed the most was that "asking for help was necessary" Most, if not all, of these kids have high GPA's and high ACT scores and try to do it all on their own. Asking for help is a sign of weakness.  
* Most of these kids have rarely had to study in school. This is a hard school. This will have to change, at least for my kid who has always had it easy in the learning dept. 
* I helped him choose his classes. I was actually completely confused for a good half hour but after asking for help, we did it!!



* He ended up taking 14 hours. Freshman week he has to take a 3 hour Trig review. Chemistry Safety, Freshman Engineering, General Chemistry (online), Chem. 1 (lecture), Chem. 2 (a lab), Calculus, and English.

After we got back last night, I had dinner plans with a friend from work. I took her to my favorite place and she loved it. We didn't have time for the trip to Target we had planned but we really had a nice time.

I have been making lists of all the things I want/need to do around here and it makes me tired thinking about it. I am always just so overwhelmed anymore.

And done.

 










10 comments:

  1. Glad you have college squared away for your son. Being smart is to his advantage no matter how smart everyone else is too. the target sandals are cute, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exciting times! How are you holding up? We won't have this same experience because daughter is following in brother's footsteps to do a stint of missions and won't go until Sept. and then she'll return to go to the school where I teach so no college visit, necessarily. But a new chapter, nonetheless!

    I haven't begun actual lists because just the thought of my lists make me want to nap, for a week. I'm with you there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh! He's a young Sheldon!! Cool!
    I LOVE your first cartoon, BTW!! I chortled out loud, for goodness sake, and startled Karma!
    You were quite the summery mom in your bright top and sandals.
    So is this empty nest time now, right? Pros and cons. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, orientation day...fun and scary. ;)
    The private room... worth the price. For so many reasons, not least of which it gives them someplace to be by themselves if needed.
    You need to add 'just chill' to your lists. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How exciting! Glad you guys had such a nice PRO Day.

    Those sandals are adorable. Yay for clearance!!

    I hope you have a lovely week ahead.

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goodness, that does look like a really hard schedule! Where is the stuff like Dynamics of Leisure? (My school really has a class by that name.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally YES! to a private room for your son.
    There will ALWAYS be a list(s) of things to do....the important thing is to keep the big picture in mind and NOT give yourself a deadline for anything on the list and it's all good! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you can afford a private room, I'd go for it. I remember my daughter's horror stories of sharing a room. Not good.

    My lists are now created on my iPad. I lose pieces of paper. Am much less likely to lose my iPad ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. YAY for the little one!! His Freshman schedule looks crazy. Such a smart boy. I'd fail out immediately. :-)

    Jayme @ Her Late Night Cravings

    ReplyDelete
  10. HA! LOVE the math badge - so me. congrats on your baby making to college. He must be very bright, with that class load. My daughter majored in chemistry and loved it. She now teaches it. Hope your son has a great first year.

    ReplyDelete

Show some love♥ leave a comment

Awards I Have Received:

Awards I Have Received:
Thanks Janet!

Thank You Stacey!

Premios Dardo (Top Dart)

Premios Dardo (Top Dart)
Thank You Angela!

Thanks Deanna!

Splash Award

Splash Award
Thanks Stacey!

Meme Award

Meme Award
Thank You Stacey

Thank You Wife O Riley!

Thank You Cindi!

Thank you Stacey!

Thanks Stacey!

Thanks Katie!