Saturday, October 3, 2015

Happy Fall (and all that crap)

This post is very personal- read at your own risk.


  I have no more pictures from the Hawaii trip (yet) but I want to get back to writing because I have so much to say and I want to remember these days. Or maybe I don't.

  The last time I wrote (April?!) I was planning some de-cluttering and trying to get a big list out of the way and done by the end of the year. I have gone through all of my fall clothing and some of my winter so that part is done. I still need to go through all of my sweaters and boots. I got my kitchen and laundry room cabinets cleaned and new shelf paper down. I hope to have the cabinets painted next year. I hung new curtains in the kitchen and living room. I am slowly cleaning the basement and preparing it for guests while getting stuff together for a garage sale.

  One of the things on my list was a visit to the doctor. Because I have not had a yearly female (we like to say hoo ha) appt. for 8 years (I know, my husband has lectured me for years) but my doctor moved away and I didn't like her replacement and I live in a small town and we don't have a female gynecologist and blah blah blah. 
  The past 2 years, I have had terrible periods (sorry if this is offensive, you can stop here) which have only gotten worse. My cramps and back hurt so bad I would be in bed all day, which is hard to do if you have a job. Advil and a heating pad were (still are) my best friend and I actually sleep with a heating pad under my lower back every night. My back and hips and legs and also my lower pelvis still ache after my period is over and I have other side effects like having to pee all the time and feeling really full after eating just a small amount sometimes. 
I am an expert google doctor and WebMD is the most used app on my phone but I was pretty sure I had some sort of terminal illness so I didn't look it up and instead, got my ass to the doctor. (Well, that and my husband said he would not work one more day for me until I made and appt.) I called my regular doctor who recommended an OB/GYN (male) with 2 female nurse practitioners so I would never have to see the male doctor unless I needed surgery. 

  I had my appointment which turned into several appointments throughout September. I had a pap test, blood tests for everything from HIV and STD's to thyroid and blood sugar. I had a mammogram. All normal. After explaining the pain and bleeding issues to the nurse practitioner (whom I adore!) an ultrasound was ordered. An internal and external ultrasound. Good times. Then I waited. And worried.

  Thursday was my appointment. 

  I love my doctor. He is actually a customer of ours and took his time explaining what was going on with me and all of my options, costs and time lost from work. He knows we have a business and the work I do. He answered all of our (yes, my husband was there) questions and eased my mind. 
He said I have a golf ball sized myoma, or fibroid tumor, in my uterus which is most likely compressing a bundle of nerves in my back. I also have adenomyosis. My uterus is also enlarged (from adenomyosis, childbirth, age or other reasons) which causes the full feeling and pain as well.
There are a number of things you can do but fibroids can grow back and I am finished having children and I don't want to this all over again so I opted for a hysterectomy. I will not go into early menopause since they plan to leave my ovaries (unless they get in there and find more problems) and my doctor has done thousands of these surgeries. His only concern is that I am a bleeding risk because of the enlarged uterus but he has to inform you of all the risks. 

I booked the surgery for Nov. 18. The day after my son's girlfriend (story for another day) gets here from Germany to spend a month with us. A  week before Thanksgiving (which I host).
I had to have it by the end of the year for insurance purposes, work reasons (an employee of ours has the same problem and needs to take time off too plus we are losing a manager and will need to hire one) and honestly, I am sick of being in near constant pain. I will be unable to work for at least a month and possibly up to 8 weeks depending on how I recover and how bad it is when they get in there. I have never had surgery, never been put under. I will have to rely on people to clean my house, take care of me, take care of the dogs and deal with all of the holiday crap. 

I am making lists of all the things I need to do by then. Get the basement ready for guests, have a garage sale, clean the garage, shop for Thanksgiving and get my Halloween decor down and fall decor out. I ordered some new jammies and lounge clothes so when people are here, I won't have to wear my ratty house clothes. I am investing in some dry shampoo because I hate dirty hair. I ordered new sheets and a new comforter because that was on my list for winter and now seems like a good time. I am picking up books to read and I will never run out of Netflix shows and dvd's. And I am working on the house room by room to organize it so that it can be easily cleaned. I plan to follow doctors orders because I  need to heal fast and get back to my life.

And I hope to get back to blogging. 
Maybe I will have some good stories for you. And maybe I can get the rest of my Hawaii pictures posted.







 












10 comments:

  1. Whoa Nelly! That is a lot to process. I am glad that it will provide some relief. Just relax. Everyone will be glad to jump in and help you out for a change! Might I suggest getting thanksgiving catered? We did it one year after my dad's kidney surgery and it made it less stressful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will be good to see more blogs from you if you have the time and if you feel like it. Good idea to get the surgery done and out of the way. You'll be surprised, I bet everyone will rally around you and help out while you are recuperating. Sounds like you have a good plan too to handle the time after your surgery.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to have that done back in 1995. Went through years of pain and horrible periods and losing work--and then wondered why I had put it off for so long. If you can keep your ovaries you got it made girl! I was able to and that made all the difference. I shall pray you can, too.

    You are smart to get as ready as you can--and then listen to everything they tell you for recovery (not to do!). You are going to feel so much better after this is over with and you have recovered you won't believe it! Let people help you. Let other people take over. You won't be off your feet and unable to lift for too long. It's only a few weeks of your life--be kind to yourself. Love and hugs!! :):)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, girl!!! I come to breeze through and check in on my long lost blog pals, and THIS!! Woah. You have a lot ahead of you! Sounds like you are meeting the challenges head on and planning well so that is good. I often host too (Thanksgiving), but you know what? Maybe it can be someone else's turn for once? Or get one of those nice prepared meals from somewhere and don't worry about it! One year, we went to Cracker Barrel, and other than mourning the lack of leftovers after, it was kind of a nice change!

    I'll be thinking of you, and praying that all goes well. Will definitely check in more since you might be blogging more!

    Hugs and love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, for Pete's sake! That'll teach you for not going to the Doc for regular check ups! Sounds like it's under control now and you will be better than new after it all! Just let everyone else do everything for once! Good idea to get cute jammies too. :) Hey, I've got a raised toilet seat I can send your way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry to hear all this!!! I wish you a speedy recovery!!! And maybe the time off will get you back into blogging--I miss your posts!!!

    Good luck :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had the surgery just to remove fibroids years ago, not a hysterectomy (I was younger, still no kids, wanted them.) And my fibroids did come back. I could sympathize with everything you said about ibuprofen and heating pads. I sleep with my heating pad almost every night myself. I go to my doctor next month, and I'm a bit afraid of what she'll tell me. Ugh. Hang in there, and take good care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so sorry you are going through this, but guarantee you will feel so relieved when this surgery is behind you. You will be glad you had it and will feel so much better and stronger. Am praying for you. Can't wait to hear the story of the German girlfriend...

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  9. YiKeS! Will keep you in my prayers leading up to and after your surgery. Take care of yourself and keep us informed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Was thinking of you....knowing November is THE month. How are you? Let me know how you are.....hugs.

    ReplyDelete

Show some love♥ leave a comment

Awards I Have Received:

Awards I Have Received:
Thanks Janet!

Thank You Stacey!

Premios Dardo (Top Dart)

Premios Dardo (Top Dart)
Thank You Angela!

Thanks Deanna!

Splash Award

Splash Award
Thanks Stacey!

Meme Award

Meme Award
Thank You Stacey

Thank You Wife O Riley!

Thank You Cindi!

Thank you Stacey!

Thanks Stacey!

Thanks Katie!